Thursday

Stan Lee Fan Letter Project

As you may know, Stan Lee is the force behind Marvel Comics and the contended "father of the modern superhero." Were I Harold Bloom, I might argue that he had invented the modern individual's sense of morality, but I think Harold Bloom is crazy and fat, so there you go. Stan Lee will also be 85 this year, so I feel that if you know who he is, and have enjoyed his comics or any of the other forms of media that have sprung from them, now is the right time to send him a fan letter.

As a pretty big nerd and fan of Stan Lee myself, I have decided to take on the Stan Lee Fan Letter Project as a way of making this easier for you. Here is my vision for the Project: I will collect hopefully a couple dozen fan letters for Mr. Lee and send them in a package with an introduction from myself, approved by those who have written the enclosed letters. I know that these letters will encompass only a fraction of the letters Mr. Lee must receive on a regular basis, but I feel that by sending them together we can provide an example of the web (ha!) of lives his comics have informed and the kind of community that they can create. If you think that sounds corny, well, on one hand, you're right, and on the other, you don't know Mr. Lee's comics well enough to be familiar with that certain brand of earnestness that is corny and compelling at the same time.

If you want to participate, there are a number of ways to do this. You can:
write a fan letter as a word document and email it to my email address (if you know it, great for you - if not just send me a message through the blog or something. can you do that?)
handwrite a fan letter, scan it and send it
handwrite or type a fan letter, physically sign it (which i think is a nice touch, especially if it's in a different color so it's obvious that you signed it) and send it to my address (same deal as the email)
or, if you live near me or work with me, you can just hand it to me.
Ultimately, I'd like to have this done by the end of next week, but if you tell me you want to send a letter I will wait for yours.

No comments: